Saturday, January 5, 2013

Confessions of a Shopaholic



Hey guys! It's me, Annabeth, and I know I haven't blogged in forever, but here I am now! So I recently finished reading Confessions of a Shopaholic,  by Sophie Kinsella. It is one of those books that I don't want other people to know that I read, because they might judge me and all that crap.

You may have seen the movie. I didn't. You may have read the book, only with a different cover. There are a lot of different images if you search "confessions of a shopaholic book cover". Anyways, it's (I think) the same story, the same characters, etc. Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's called The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic everywhere but the U.S, and India. Jeez, I hate it when the same book has two different titles.Like how Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is actually Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. 

The setting is "present day" London (it's actually set from 1999 to 2000). It was an okay setting, but it would have been more relatable for me if it was set in America, so I knew what all the stores she shopped at were, and stuff like that.

So the main character is Rebecca Bloomwood, an ignorant, shallow, fashionable, and lots of other adjectives financial journalist. She lives in Fulham, London, in a fashionable flat with her best friend, Suze. She hates her low-paying job, and loves- or more importantly, is addicted to- shopping. So, the result is a whole lot of debt. And Rebecca basically ignores it through out the whole book. ARGH!

What really annoyed me was that she actually could have easily payed off some of her debt, but instead she knowingly spent it on things such as a $200 scarf because it was 50% off and she was "technically saving money".

I thought this book was meh. It was a quick, easy read, which was nice, but it kind of annoyed me, so I'd rate it... somewhere between 2 and 3 stars.

If you like meaningful, interesting books, this may not be for you. If you like chick-lits and girly stuff and Twilight and those kind of books, go ahead and read it.

-Annabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment